Saturday, September 15, 2007

New D40X

I just cracked open the box and put together a new camera, the Nikon D40X. I love it, though I can not wait to a second lens. As good as the kit lens may be, I want to try to the new VR telephoto.



I read way too many reviews, deciding between the D40X, the D80 and the XTi. I went to the stores to try them out. I checked prices. I thought. I debated. I went back and forth. I decided.



The D40X does not have the features of the D80, but they use the same lenses, the same MPS and the feature set is not hugely different. As some reviewer pointed out, camera bodies are improving so quickly that the D40X's descendants only a couple of years down the road will outdo most of the current line of SLR bodies. So money might be better spent in lenses, which has a slower obsolescence cycle.



The XTi seems almost identical to the D40X in performance and features, so the decision was very hard. But I like the more intuitive and easier to read menus in the Nikon, so the Nikon it was.



I have already started posting pictures from the new camera and more soon.

No comments: